Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Using Windows Update you get the error:
No signature was present in the subject.
- Using the stand-alone installer for SP2 you get the error:
"You need to install Windows Server Service Pack 1 before continuing"
- Or you cannot see/modify roles and features anymore.
How I solved it:
- Run this tool (KB 947821).
- Check %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log for reported missing items (starting with "missing:") to find out which updates are blocking.
In my case the resulting log included the following lines:
(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\Package_for_KB961371_server_0~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~126.96.36.199.mum
(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\Package_for_KB961371_server~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~188.8.131.52.mum
(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\Package_for_KB961371~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~184.108.40.206.mum
Checking component store
Seconds executed: 270
Found 3 errors
CBS MUM Missing Total Count: 3
- Either find the missing files on another machine OR download those updates from Microsoft and extract the .mum and .cat files from the update package (in my case: KB961371)
(you can rename a .msu file to .cab and extract its contents.)
(one of the .mum/.cat files should be missing in the package that you are looking for. Use update.mum and update.cat and rename them)
- Copy the .mum and .cat files to C:\Windows\servicing\packages.
(To be able to do so you need to take ownership of the folder and grant your user account full control. After copying the files set the owner back to "NT Service\TrustedInstaller")
- Run the stand-alone installer for SP2.
Good luck & enjoy SP2!
(Thanks to Glafkos Charalambous as well as to the many people writing and answering on this topic on the TechNet forums)